Consumer Tips

Electrical Safety

SAFETY is everybody’s responsibility. Always practice SAFETY and save a LIFE – it maybe yours.

  • Check electrical installations regularly and have all wornout wirings, damaged sockets, switches and other electrical fixtures changed or repaired immediately. They are common sources of sparks and usually start disastrous fires.
  • All electrical installations, repairs and changes should be undertaken by licensed Electricians. In case of snapped service wire or sagging distribution lines, call for a lineman from your cooperative. Ask someone to stand-by while notifying your Coop. Never leave faulty wires unguarded.
  • Don’t leave your wires dangling. Don’t drape them over pipes, nails or other supports susceptible to destruction or contact by human movements. Never run electric cord under rugs. Cords to portable electrical appliances should be as short as possible.
  • Electrical wirings and appliances should bear the underwriter label. This serves as guidelines for electricians and provides safety for your appliances.
  • Flexible cords should not be used for fixed wiring nor should they be spliced, tacked, stapled or otherwise fastened to combustible walls or woodwork.
  • Don’t overload your electrical circuits by profusely putting extra lights and appliances. Lighting and appliance circuits have minimum ratings. Follow the specifications provided in the electrical plan by your Electrical Engineer.
  • Have extra outlets installed by an Electrician instead of using long extension cords. Octopus connection is STRICTLY prohibited. Report to the coop any additional loads for your protection. This will prevent overloading of electric meters.
  • Never leave the electrical device open for a moment without making sure that the current is turned-off.
  • Never jerk cords out of outlets. Grip the plug firmly.
  • Never touch electric cords, wires and fixtures with wet hands. Always consider that all electric wires are alive unless proven otherwise. Use proper instruments in testing circuits. Don’t allow anyone in the household to work on live wires.
  • Keep combustible objects away from contact with light bulbs.
  • DON’T IMPROVIZE. Use only approved types of electrical appliances and equipment. Never use “JUMPERS” or bridge a blown fuse with wire or coin.
  • Do not use pull-chain switches in the bathroom and other wet locations.
  • Never use electric light bulbs for warming or drying purposes, or use portable electric heaters in concealed places or a pull-chain-switch in your bathroom.
  • Always be alert for impending electrical fire such as caused by frequent breakage of fuse or tripping of circuit breakers, abnormal operation of meters and appliances and others.
  • For frequent breakage of fuse or tripping of circuit breaker is a sure sign of shorts, unwanted grounds or overloaded circuit. Be alert on impending electrical fire. Call a certified electrician to correct the trouble.
  • Remember that a body is a conductor. Don’t touch wires, rails or anything which may be charged electrically.
  • In extinguishing electrical fires, the current must be switched off before water or ordinary fire extinguishers are used.
 
 
You are here: Home Consumer Care Consumer Tips Electrical Safety